Leonid Gornik [ Contact form ]
Education and Professional Skills
Engineering (Hydroelectric Stations/Civil Engineering - Master Degree, Eng.) www.mgsu.ru
Language University Diploma (Bachelor in Linguistics) www.linguanet.ru
Practical experience in engineering and intellectual property fields 22 years with a large mechanical engineering company www.vniismi.ru
Languages: Russian into English, Ukrainian into English, English into Russian, German into English, French into English, Italian into English.
Fields: Engineering, Patents-Legal, Chemistry, Construction-Oil Field Technology-Geology, Automobile Engineering, Electronics, Environment, Transportation, Medicine/Medical Engineering... If you don't find the exact field here, please contact me about your specific translation needs.
30+ years of continuous translation experience. Much experience in translation and drafting of patent applications (both in Russian and in English).
Extensive experience in translation of industrial, construction, power engineering, oil and gas, and space projects.
Author of a number of intellectual property dictionaries published in Russia. Example 1, Example 2.
Advanced PC user - MS Office, Transit XV (light), Full Acrobat 9.0, state of the art OCR software, AutoCAD, DSL connection, high-capacity FTP-site for file transfer.
Translated all patents (over 500) Italian/Russian, French/Russian, English/Russian for FIAT car production in Russia in the late 60's.
Translated all legal documents from English and French when Russia had been preparing to join the World Intellectual Property Organization.
In 1995, prepared the Russian part of a computer translation dictionary for automobile and construction machinery industries for Caterpillar, Inc.
Translation for Sakhalin offshore project; Caspian Sea offshore project, oil and gas equipment manuals (1997-2000).
Translation into English and into Russian of a big project dealing with chemical weapons destruction in Russia (1995-2000).
Ongoing translation (English-Russian, Russian-English) for Gas Turbine Power Plant projects (2000-present time).
Translation for a joint RF-US space research project (Reports) (2002-2005).
Huge legal translation project for a trial (Russian-English and other languages) for US attorney office (2001-2005).
Translation of large software manuals (80,000 words) for a Government contractor.
Professional Work Experience
- 1994 - Present time
- Freelance translator in the U.S. in technical, business and legal fields for major US companies.
- Clients include:
Space Systems Loral - (Russian - English) 1995/96
Varian - (German, French into English) (since 1995)
Solar Turbines Incorporated (since 2000).
Berlitz NY (automotive) English-Russian (1999- 2001) [Ford manuals, Ford dealership system]
- Since 1991
- Registered Patent Attorney in Russia
- Consultant to a private Patent Agency in Russia
- Before 1989
- For 22 years, Leading Patent Engineer with a large mechanical engineering company in Russia (an affiliation of 15 production plants). Disciplines: portable tools, tools and devices for space, plastic processing.
- Ongoing part time translation and interpreting engagements for other companies since 1964.
Technology Transfer Experience
Patent services, consulting & coordination in an innovative gas turbine engine development project ALM Turbine, Inc. (1997- 2004):
- Drafting patent applications for U.S. filing
- Translation of specifications, drawings, and design deliverables
- Coordination between the designer/inventor and the design/development company in the U.S.
- Teleconferencing, interpreting
- Preparation of presentations and advertising materials
Certified by the American Translators Association (ATA)
- ATA associate membership
- NCTA active membership
Please use the online Contact form to reach me.